Users need to keep the firmware of Orbi and its satellite up to date in order to ensure the proper functioning of their Orbi router. Both orbi router and satellite are designed to auto update their firmware. Still, at times when the auto update fails users may refer to following procedure for troubleshooting the problem.
Kindly, refer to the following orbi setup support steps if your orbi satellite is unable to auto update its firmware version.
- Try to power cycle the Orbi satellite: You may refer to the following steps for power cycling an orbi satellite.
- Turn OFF the power switch for Orbi satellite.
- Unplug all the wires including the power cords and network cables as well.
- Leave the power cord unplugged for a minimum of 10-20 seconds.
- Plug in all the power cords back to its place.
- Turn ON the power switch for Orbi satellite and check if now the orbi satellite has started looking for auto firmware update.
- Bring the Orbi satellite close towards router by connecting it to a power outlet that is close to orbi router. It will ensure that the satellite is receiving enough Wi-Fi signals for performing firmware update.
- Check the status of wireless internet connectivity: Check the speed of your wireless network and ensure it is enough for the functioning of orbi and its satellite. In case, the internet signals are found to be weak then try to reset the router. You can reset the Orbi by simply pressing the reset button preset behind it.
Going through these three steps might fix firmware auto update issues related to orbi. Still, if the issue is not resolved you should get in touch with orbi tech support team for advanced help related to orbi.
In case, you are unable to get in touch with orbi tech support team then try to manually update the firmware to ensure the proper functioning of orbi satellite.
Steps for manually updating the firmware of Orbi satellite:
- Visit Netgear Download Center and save a copy of firmware update file for orbi satellite. Save the downloaded firmware at the desktop location so that you can easily access it.
- Browse http://orbilogin.com from any of the web browser on your internet supporting devices.
- Type in orbi account login credentials and click on “Sign in” button.
- Once you are logged in, locate the option for “Manual Update” and click on it. You will notice that the firmware updating page open up.
- Specify your orbi satellite by clicking inside the checkbox available in front of its model number.
- Locate the button for “Update” and click on it.
- In case the browser asks you to re-login then again type in your orbi account’s sign in credentials.
- Tap on the option to “Browse.” Locate the firmware update file of orbi satellite that you earlier saved at the desktop location. The file might be available with an .img or .chk extension.
- Position the cursor over “Upload” button and click on it. Wait for few minutes till the update completes.
- Soon after the firmware of Orbi satellite has been completely updated locate the icon for “Status” to check and ensure if the firmware update went well or not. Click on “Status” and check if the firmware version details match with the version details available at Netgear support page. If the version details match with each other, then it means that the Orbi satellite was updated correctly.
So this was all about few troubleshooting steps that should be followed if Orbi satellite fails to perform auto update. Other than troubleshooting the concern users can opt for manually updating the firmware as per their convenience. Hope all the steps mentioned here are simple and easy to understand. Still, in case you are unable to understand of these steps then feel free to ask for netgear orbi support. If you find this helpful and wish to have more such information, then keep an eye on all upcoming posts.